Insurance companies offering health and medical coverage, who are members of the Association of Trinidad and Tobago Insurance Companies (ATTIC), have agreed to honour claims for the treatment of COVID-19 at private health facilities.
The official statement released by ATTIC outlines the conditions by which such claims would be honoured and notes that they are subject to change.
The following is the full text of the release issued by ATTIC…
The Members of ATTIC offering health and medical coverage, Assuria Life T&T Limited, The Beacon Insurance Company Limited, Guardian Life of the Caribbean Limited, Maritime Life (Caribbean) Limited, Pan-American Life Insurance Company of Trinidad and Tobago (PALIG), Sagicor Life Inc. and Trinidad & Tobago Insurance Limited (TATIL), have agreed, at this time, to the inclusion of claims for the treatment of Covid-19.
Subject to the individual terms, conditions and deductibles of each Insurer’s policy contract, all carriers will now cover cost of the treatment of Covid-19 as follows:- :
● The policyholder must be diagnosed with COVID-19
● Treatment received at private health/ medical facilities including the use of medication which have all of the necessary approvals from the relevant local Regulatory Authorities for the care and treatment of Covid-19 patients.
Reimbursements will be made in accordance with the benefits allowed in your health contract and will include the application of the usual Reasonable & Customary (R&C) charges on COVID-19 treatment.
We also take this opportunity to remind you that the following criteria must be met in order for a policyholder to be reimbursed the cost of a “test” for COVID-19:
● The policyholder must be symptomatic and must have a referral by a doctor to have the
● The policyholder is either hospitalized or has an approved medical procedure and the COVID-19 test is a requirement by that facility prior to admission
● The test must be sent to an approved medical lab for COVID-19 testing as indicated in the Ministry of Health regulations
These conditions for reimbursement of COVID-19 treatment are subject to change.
We continue to urge you to adhere to the Covid-19 guidelines and encourage everyone to get vaccinated.
Policyholders are asked to call their respective Insurer to discuss the actual specific requirements and terms of their policy contract.