Cabinet has agreed to a travel restriction on anyone travelling from China to Trinidad and Tobago, in light of the spread of coronavirus.
Health Minister Terrance Deyalsingh says that with immediate effect – once necessary legal provisions are put in place -“persons who are presently living in China or visiting China, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed entry into Trinidad and Tobago for 14 days after leaving China.”
Speaking at today’s post-Cabinet news conference, he added: “If you left China tomorrow you will not be allowed into China until February 14.”
He said the reason for the 14 days is that the incubation period for coronavirus lasts for that period.
He said it is now for the attorney general’s office and the chief immigration officer to effect the travel restrictions.
The minister added that the Ministry of Health, under the public health ordinance, will designate coronavirus as a dangerous infectious disease as done with ebola in 2014.
He said that once that is done these measure will be put into effect almost immediately.
The minister said that 18,588 people have been screened after arriving at Piarco and no one has so far been found with the virus.