National Security Minister Stuart Young speaking at a press conference yesterday at the Ministry of National Security, Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain office.

On the eve of the public dissemination of video footage which purports to show a member of the T&T Defence Force stuffing money into his tactical uniform during the T&T Police Service raid on the Drugs Sou Sou’s La Horquetta base where $22 million was seized last Tuesday, outspoken Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith met with Minister of National Security Stuart Young to appraise him about the investigations.

Guardian Media was reliably informed that the meeting took place on Saturday afternoon and lasted just over an hour.

With several questions still to be answered about the actual operation and what transpired hours after the money was released back to the DSS CEO and the alleged direct involvement of police and soldiers in DSS activity itself, there is a genuine concern by Government officials about the investigations.

Contacted on the issue yesterday, Griffith confirmed that he met with Young.

“The minister wanted to find about the status of the investigations. There are three investigations—the $22 million via the source of funds, taxes et cetera, the officers who returned the funds and the officer who put the envelope in his pocket.”

Sources privy to the meeting told Guardian Media that concerns were raised by Young related to the video, which was prior to the publication of the newspaper story and release of the same video in the public domain.

However, Griffith rubbished that claim, saying this information was “very unreliable.”

In a media release yesterday, Griffith said a “thorough investigation will be conducted to determine if a member of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force committed any criminal act during a raid at Kathleen Warner Drive at Phase One La Horquetta on September 22nd, 2020, where $22m in cash was seized.”

Griffith also said contrary to claims on social media, the TTDF personnel had not been dismissed.

“It’s never going to happen so easily.”

He said a proper investigation with the aid of the Commanding Officer in the TTDF must first take place.