Marabella man stabbed

to death after warning

Sascha Wilson

Days after he was warned by a spiritual leader that a woman would be the death of him, Keith Haynes was stabbed to death.

Haynes, 55, was reportedly stabbed by one of his ex-girlfriends’s lover at her Marabella home on Monday.

According to a police report, around 4. 26 am the men got into in an altercation at the woman’s home and Haynes was stabbed.

The suspect and Haynes’ ex-girlfriend took him to the San Fernando General Hospital where he died.

The suspect, of St James Street, Marabella, later made a report at the police station.

After falling on hard times and being evicted from his apartment in Ste Madeleine a few months ago, Haynes, fondly called Darko, was forced to sleep in his B-14 Nissan.

He would spend most of his time with his close friends Raphiel and Natalie Smalls and their children at Taradale, Ste Madeleine.

When told of his death on Monday morning they were shocked to learn that he had been stabbed.

“Thank you for clearing that up for us,” said Smalls (N) when Guardian Media told her what the police report stated.

She recalled that around 6.50 am on Monday a woman called them from Haynes’ cellphone and said Haynes drove himself to the hospital after suffering from severe chest pains.

She said the woman told them that the doctors tried their best to save his life but he passed away.

“I knew something was not right with that story,” said Smalls.

For the ten years they knew Haynes and he never suffered from any heart problems.

In fact, she said, he was healthy and strong. Describing him as a big brother, Smalls (N) said a few months ago he and his girlfriend broke off their relationship. But, he still had feelings for her and would visit her home. She recalled that last week a spiritual man warned him not to visit his ex-girlfriend’s home because he would be killed.

However, she said he laughed it off. The last time they saw Haynes was on Sunday evening at their home.

She packed some food in a container for him. When he was leaving around 6.35 pm, she recounted, “He say ‘I walking with my food so where I going they cyah buss style on me. I have meh food.”

Haynes began working as a groundsman at the Ste Madeleine Government Primary School only three weeks ago. He had planned to pay his car installment when he collected his first salary on Friday and use his second salary to rent an apartment.

SRP charged with wife’s murder

Special Reserve Police Officer (SRP) Sherwin John has been charged with the murder of his wife

John, 27, of Church Street, Matura, who was last attached to the Sangre Grande Traffic Section, was charged with the offence following advice received from Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard SC on Monday.

A statement from the Police Service said John also faces charges of common assault against a woman, which allegedly occurred on July 30, 2020, the same day his wife, Vera Golabie, was fatally stabbed.

Golabie, 28, of the same address, was in her yard when she reportedly got into an altercation with a male relative.

During the incident, she was stabbed several times in her neck. A female relative of the victim, who police said witnessed the incident, was also threatened by the man before he exited the premises and drove off.

Golabie died at the scene.

John subsequently surrendered himself to officers of the Matura Police Station on that same date.

Charges were laid by Sgt. Stanisclaus of the Homicide Bureau of Investigations, Region 2, on Monday.

Man jailed for throwing hot water on woman

A man living at Oropune Gardens, Piarco, has been jailed for 36 months for throwing hot water on a woman.

Ossie James, 43, of Oropune Gardens, Piarco, was jailed on Monday after pleading guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

James pleaded guilty before Magistrate Cheron Raphael via a virtual hearing at the Arima Magistrates’ Court.

The court heard that around 5,30 am on July 18, this year the woman was at her home.

The Police Service said James went home intoxicated. The woman asked him to leave, however, he was not pleased.

James went into the kitchen and put a pot of water to boil.

He returned to the living room and there was an argument.

Around 6 15 am, the woman was sitting on a single couch in the living room with her back turned to the kitchen.

James got up and went back into the kitchen. He came back to the living room with the pot of hot boiling water and poured

the hot water over the woman’s body.

The woman jumped up and ran to a neighbour’s home and sought assistance. James left the house,

The woman was taken to the Arima Health Facility and a report was made to the Arouca Police Station on the same date.

Constable Alfred and other officers of the Arouca Police Station went to the Arima Health Facility and spoke to the

woman. They took a report from her .

The report was sent to the Gender-Based Violence Unit (GBVU), Northern Division and WPC Pamponette began an


The woman suffered second degree burns to her face and body. Police said a search was mounted James, who reportedly went into hiding.

Pamponette obtained a warrant for the arrest of the accused.

Beetham man charged with assaulting woman

Beetham Gardens resident Dean Collins, 36. has appeared before Magistrate Cherril-Anne Antoine in the Port-of-Spain court charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

A statement from the Police Service said last Saturdayaround 5.30 am, a woman was asleep at her home at Beetham Gardens. A man arrived at the house after attending a party in the area.

The statement said the man woke up the woman and an argument broke out after he accused her of being unfaithful.

He became enraged and allegedly place his hands around the woman’s neck causing pain.

The woman ran out of the home. A short distance away she met PCs Williams and Ross, both attached to Inter-Agency Task

Force, Charford Court, Port of Spain, who were on patrol on the Priority Bus Route.

She made a report to them.

The officers accompanied the woman to her Beetham Gardens home and she pointed out the man.

The man was arrested and taken to the Besson Street Police Station.

A report was made to the Gender-Based Violence Unit (GBVU), based at the Besson Street Police Station.

Enquiries were headed by Head of the Gender-Based Violence Unit, Superintendent Claire Guy-Alleyne and supervised by

Inspector Lystra Bridglal.

WPC Joseph and PC Jones of the GBVU took the woman to the Port-

of- Spain Accident and Emergency Hospital to seek medical attention where she was attended to and discharged.

WPC Joseph recorded a statement from the woman and a medical certificate was obtained

on her behalf.

Collins was charged by Joseph on the same daywith the offence of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He pleaded not guilty to the charge and was granted own bail in the sum $20,000 with the condition that he resides at

his father’s residence in Sangre Grande.

The matter has been August 28.