Sascha Wilson

A family torn by the disappearance of doubles vendor Dhanraj “Adesh” Juman three years ago may have finally gotten closure.

A wallet with his national identification card, driver’s permit and a membership card was found next to the charred skeletal human remains in a grassy area in Couva.

However, a deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) test still has to be done to confirm the identity of the remains.

His wife Vernesa Juman had reported to the police that she last saw her husband around 2 pm on September 25, 2017, when he left home in a brown jersey and black short pants. Police also received information that on that day Juman, 37, was also seen at Korea Village, Carapichaima. There were no further clues about his whereabouts.

But on Sunday around 11 am, a Penal man was cutting grass at his agricultural land at Connector Road, Mc Bean Village, Couva, when he stumbled upon burnt skeletal remains scattered in his property.

The remains were about 40 feet from the roadway. Police found the wallet with Juman’s national identification card, driver permit, and a Price Smart membership card. They also retrieved a brown coloured jersey, black pants, and belt. A district medical officer viewed the remains and ordered its removal to a funeral home pending an autopsy at the Forensic Science Centre.

When Guardian Media visited her home yesterday, Vernesa said while believed the remains could be her husband, she is waiting on the DNA results before she accepts “100 percent it is him.”

“After hoping and praying for three years we finally get some kind of closure. Not knowing what happen to him all this time has not been easy.” Vernesa said she knew something was wrong when he did not return home to her and their three children. She said his remains will only be released to her when the police receive the DNA results.

Juman’s brother Hamranath Juman said they are relieved but also saddened.

“If there was any hope about him coming back, well there is no more.” he said.

He said the last time he spoke to his brother was about three weeks before he went missing.

“I had a heavy feeling and I asked him if everything okay. He say ‘we will talk.’

Juman, he said, never complained to him about receiving any threats.

The last three years have been difficult for him and his family.

“Every time a body turns up. Every time some bone or some skeletal found somewhere, we just waiting to hear news if it is him,” the brother said.

Officers of the Homicide Bureau of Investigations and Couva CID are investigating.