The 21-year-old son of Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi was granted an exemption and re-entered the country on November 13.
Al-Rawi was forced to fight off claims that he used his position to help his son jump the long exemption line, after documents of his son’s return to this country surfaced.
Guardian Media received a copy of a Customs and Excise document which showed student Abraham Faris Al-Rawi entering the country on November 13.
According to the document, he came in through Barbados and visited Ireland in the last six weeks.
There was speculation that he was only away for three weeks, which Al-Rawi denied.
Under length of stay abroad, the younger Al-Rawi wrote in “2 months.”
The country has been locked down and borders closed since March 22.
In a brief telephone interview Al-Rawi confirmed that his son was granted an exemption to enter the country “as was many other students”.
“I just want to urge people to just stop,” he said.
Al-Rawi confirmed that his son did come into the country in November but when asked if he was granted any special favours, Al-Rawi again urged people to stop and “reset this year.”
“My son was out of the country and I consistently said, this is just something that I consider repulsive,” he said.
Al-Rawi said that he felt sorry for Minister of National Security Stuart Young who faced the worst criticism for people waiting in the exemption queue.
“He has tried to help every single person. I have witnessed Stuart Young constant agony on trying his very best, trying to get people back into the country,” he said.
These fresh accusations of favouritism comes just days after Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley was forced to defend the exemption granted to his own daughter.
Dr Sonel Rowley applied for her exemption on November 4 and returned to the country on December 16 from New York.
The Prime Minister had previously said his daughter was in New York, which was a few months ago the epicentre of the COVID-19 pandemic in the US.
After she returned home the Prime Minister denied any favouritism.
On social media there has been many complaints about people still awaiting exemptions even after applying since March.
In the Sunday Guardian, many nationals who are yearning to come back to this country detailed the agony and anxiety they have been suffering as they try to return to their homeland.
According to the Government 13,042 exemption applications have been made thus far to the Ministry of National Security.
Of this number, 7,204 were granted, and 5,838 of these are yet to be granted.
On November 7, the Government announced the new changes to the exemption policy to enter the country, which included a negative PCR test and State supervised quarantine for seven days.