Gary Lane...found dead in cell at Arouca Police Station.

Rhondor Dowlat-Rostant

A senior official at the Forensic Science Centre in St James has confirmed to the family of Gary Layne, 30, that “missing” bones from his autopsy are currently at the centre but admitted that he is not sure as to why the pathologist kept it and did not return it along with the body to the funeral home.

Speaking with the Guardian Media yesterday, Layne’s close relative, who still wished not to be identified, said their attorney has requested relevant information pertaining to the initial autopsy done on Wednesday at the Centre via the Freedom of Information Act.

The relative also added that the independent pathologist Dr Hubert Daisley also sent a letter to the Centre on Friday requesting that the missing neck bones, which are critical to his analysis and investigation, death be sent to him.

The relative questioned why they weren’t allowed to sit in for the autopsy.

The senior official, not wanting to comment further said an independent pathologist would be allowed on the premises on Monday to conclude his independent investigations along with the Centre’s pathologist.

“Our many questions weren’t answered but we are looking in further investigations and working along with our attorney to get answers,” the relative said.

Layne was found dead in the holding cell of the Arouca Police Station on Sunday afternoon. A second independent autopsy conducted on Thursday revealed that two important bones to the base of the neck were missing.

The missing bones, according to relatives, hold the key as to exactly how Layne died.

The initial autopsy which was conducted at the Centre on Wednesday revealed that Layne died from asphyxia due to hanging and added that there were no lacerations or bruises.

However, with the many questions hovering in the minds of relatives, Layne’s immediate family decided to have a second autopsy done as an attempt to get closure.

The second autopsy was done on Thursday at a funeral home in East Trinidad by Professor Dr Hubert Daisley.

According to a police report, Layne of Mausica was placed in Holding Bay One at the Homicide Bureau of Investigations Region II over the weekend.

He was waiting to be interviewed by investigators about an alleged conspiracy to murder and gang-related offences.

However, police officers, who were checking on prisoners found Layne unresponsive in the cell.

He was taken to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, but he was declared dead at 4.09 pm.

Crime scene investigators went to the scene and examined the cell. Police had suspected Layne died by suicide.