Firemen gather at the scene yesterday.

For more than 12 hours, firefighters battled a massive blaze that gutted a warehouse at Citrus Drive, Enterprise, Chaguanas, causing millions of dollars in damage.

The fire began around 6 pm on Monday at a warehouse that contained supplies for Alisha Marketing and Sumeds Limited Poultry Equipment and Supplies. Fire appliances from Chaguanas, Couva, Savonetta and Tunapuna battled the blaze well into Tuesday.

In fact, fire officers were at the scene well after midday yesterday still extinguishing the flames.

A manager of the facility said she was not in a position to comment on the blaze and asked that media redirect their questions to the fire officials on site.

Fire officers said the cause of the blaze was yet to be determined. The smoke emanating from the warehouse affected scores of residents and around 12 businesses located to the west of the smouldering facility along the Southern Main Road, Enterprise. Businessman Harry Ramgoolie, who operates a stationery store said he was forced to close shop early because of the excessive smoke. Ramgoolie said when the blaze started he was worried.

He said the flames were very high and he was concerned that his operations would have been gutted too.

Residents of the nearby Dass Trace Extension said they had no choice but to stay indoors and deal with the smoke.

Employees of the affected business, who preferred not be named, said they were distraught that the year started off on such a bad note with many now not knowing what will happen next.