Phillip Gonzales

Former United National Congress (UNC) councillor Phillip Gonzales is in stable condition after he was stabbed by a man during a campaign meeting on Saturday.

The incident took place during a UNC motorcade in the Moruga/Tableland constituency.

His injuries are not life-threatening but he is still being treated at the San Fernando General Hospital and will not be able to cast his vote today.

In a video circulating on social media, Gonzales was bareback and a bloody jersey was covering his chest area. He was heard saying that he couldn’t breathe.

Gonzales claimed he had two violent encounters with some people that day as parties held motorcades in the various constituencies.

The stabbing incident occurred around 9.30 pm.

In a telephone interview from his hospital bed yesterday, Gonzales recalled that he was seated in a 12-seater maxi taxi with his wife and two other people. The other passengers had already stopped off. The maxi was passing through Basseterre but the traffic was at snail’s pace.

He said a man who was not a UNC supporter came into the maxi and although he did not know the man personally, he thought the man came into the bus as a show of camaraderie.

“He started to cuss. I told him he cannot do that. He hit me on my head. I tried to defend myself, I tried to kick him out of the bus. He was fighting me. I tried to kick him out of the maxi because he was sitting near the door.”

He said the man stabbed him in his abdomen, chest and rib cage. Gonzales said he did not realise he got stabbed until he saw the blood and then he felt pain.

“I took off my jersey and started to put pressure on the wound.”

He was taken to the Princes Town Health Facility where he was treated and transferred to the general hospital.

Gonzales, who served as the councillor for Moruga from 2010 to 2016, said he was in a lot of pain and would not be able to vote today.

“And that is my biggest disappointment. I will be in the hospital for a few days. I have to undergo minor surgery. I count myself to be very lucky to be alive.”

Police took a statement from Gonzales yesterday and said an arrest is imminent.