Eighty-one-year-old Valston Yearwood (centre) is held protectively by his grandson (left), following his safe return home by medical orderly Avion Dawson (right). Yearwood had been missing since Saturday 13 November 2021. Dawson found him at the San Fernando General Hospital on Tuesday November 16th, and returned him to his family.

A medical orderly has reunited an elderly man who had been reported missing with his family, after she found him wandering at the San Fernando General Hospital, this morning.  

Eighty-one-year-old Valston Yearwood of La Gloria Settlement, New Grant, was reported missing last Saturday. Around 6:30 am, medical orderly Avion Dawson saw Yearwood on the hospital compound near the Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department and took him home into the arms of his relieved relatives. Dawson also lives in the community.

Although she lives on the same street as Yearwood, Dawson said she only found out he was missing on Monday night after she saw the Missing Persons Alert on Facebook. Dawson also had shared the post.

She told Guardian Media that while having breakfast, she saw the elderly man walking on the compound. When she and her colleagues asked him his name, he only mentioned his surname and told them that he was from Cedar Hill. Dawson said they called the Anti-Crime hotline 555 and they indicated that they would send the police.

Dawson recalls:

“He wasn’t staying still; like he wanted to go somewhere else. So, I asked them [Police Service] if I could take him home and they said I could. I asked my supervisor if I could leave work to drop him home and she said I could go.” 

Valston Yearwood told Dawson that he had slept by a building and that he was hungry. She bought him two doubles and a soft drink as she drove him home in her private vehicle. When she got to his house, the police, including PCs Sujeet Ramcharan and Deboulet, were already there and she handed him over to them. 

Yearwood lives with his daughter and grandchildren. His grateful grandson hugged him as Dawson handed him over.

Dawson then went back to work.

One of the police officers involved in the investigation told Guardian Media:

“This is excellent, she should be highly commended. She left work to take him to make sure he got back home safely.”