A 34-year-old man was granted $10,000 bail when he appeared virtually before a Sangre Grande Magistrate yesterday charged with assault. Kendel Burkley, of Villafana Trace, San Louis Road, Guaico, pleaded not guilty to the charge of assault occasioning a wound when he appeared before Sangre Grande Magistrate, Erica Baptiste-Ramkissoon, on October 19th.

He was also ordered not to have any contact with the woman pending the determination of the matter which was postponed to November 19th. Burkley was arrested and charged by WPC Narinesingh of the Eastern Division Gender-Based Violence Unit (GBVU) on October 16th following an investigation surrounding a report of domestic abuse which allegedly occurred on the same day.

According to official reports, at 12:20 pm on October 16th, officers of the Eastern Division Emergency Response Patrol (ERP) responded to a distress call of domestic violence at Villafana Trace, San Louis Road, Guaico, Sangre Grande. When ERP officers arrived at the location, they met a 34-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman, who reported to police that she had been assaulted by a man whom she had a two-year visiting relationship.

The man was interviewed and arrested pending further investigations and the woman was taken to seek medical treatment at the hospital. The case was subsequently handed over to the GBVU who continued enquiries into the report.
During the investigation, WPC Narinesingh found that while the woman was talking on a cellphone owned by the defendant, he approached her and asked if she did not hear him calling her.

The woman told the defendant that she did not hear him and that she was talking on the phone and she stepped aside as the defendant began quarrelling. The defendant then again allegedly approached the victim and asked if she did not hear him calling her and this time she showed the defendant the cellphone, indicating to him that she was still talking on the phone.

The defendant reportedly became angry and allegedly dealt the victim several blows about her face with his hands. She managed to run away to the home of one of the neighbours for safety and the police was contacted. She was taken for medical treatment and is being offered counselling services by the Victim and Witness Support Unit of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service. Investigations into this case were spearheaded by Head of the GBVU, W/Supt Claire Guy-Alleyne, and supervised by W/Sgt Felix.