A Mayaro man with a long rap sheet of arrests and convictions for firearm and drug possession was shot dead on Saturday morning. Police said Tyrone Carter, also known as “Tiger” of Plaisance Road, Mayaro, was in a yard at Rest House Village.

Around 11 am, a car pulled up in front of the house and the occupants opened fire on him. The car sped off, and those around later found Carter slumped against a fence. He suffered several gunshot wounds, including one that entered through his neck and came through his mouth. He died on the scene. Mayaro police responded and searched for the suspects.

Police were yet to determine a motive for the murder.

According to a story by Mark Bassant, Lead Editor of the Investigative Desk, Carter was one of the witnesses on a list given by Anderson Straker, who spent 15 years in a United States Prison charged with hostage-taking resulting in the death of Balram “Balo” Maharaj and conspiracy to commit hostage-taking.

Maharaj’s remains were buried in two containers in the Santa Cruz forest in 2005. Maharaj, 62, was kidnapped at the Samaan Tree Bar in Aranguez on April 6, 2005. Police recovered his remains on January 8, 2006. Straker was extradited to the US, where the District Court for the District of Columbia affirmed his life sentence on September 1, 2015. The supreme court denied his petition for certiorari on February 20, 2016.

Straker and his attorney Steven Kiersh filed an appeal. A judge heard the matter between 2018 and 2019 and overturned Straker’s two life sentences. In 2005 Straker rented an apartment to Carter and collected rent from him on the sixth of every month.

During Kiersh’s interview in November 2008, Carter confirmed that he cleaned up the yard with Straker on April 6. It also stated that Straker’s daughter was home from school and saw her father coming and going in the morning and cleaning up the yard in the afternoon.

Tobago man gunned down

A Mason Hall man is Tobago’s fourth murder victim. Dead is maintenance worker Dwayne Legall AKA “Doo Doo”, 27. He was shot multiple times outside his business place at Two Step Junction, Mason Hall, around 12:50 pm, yesterday.

Legall was taken to the Scarborough General Hospital for treatment where he died. Tobago Police are investigating.