Education Minister Nyan Gadsby-Dolly maks her way to the Red House for Monday’s budget debate.

[email protected]

Education Minister Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly says 90 per cent of the nation’s students are accessing education online.

Speaking during the budget debate, the Education Minister said 176,000 students were expected to commence schooling when the new term started in September. She said the ministry has been tracking the educating process and it has been working.

“Based on our weekly analysis of the daily attendance data and the trends 90 per cent of these students are engaged in online classes at this time with the other 10 per cent collecting package work whether it is hard copy or by electronic means,” she said.

The minister also said that all teachers who have indicated a need have been provided with laptops.

She said approximately $100 million has been set aside in this fiscal year to provide devices and connectivity for students and teachers.

She revealed that already 5,000 laptops have been distributed to students with special needs.

The minister also spoke of the private sector who she said has pledged $50 million worth in devices for students.

“The Adopt a School programme of the ministry has pledges of over 17,000 devices for children. These devices have begun to arrive and are now being distributed around the country to the children.”

She described the response from the corporate sector as extremely commendable.