Rihanna Parks

The mother of teenager Rihanna Parks, who was found shot in an abandoned house in St James on Monday, is seeking answers surrounding her daughter’s death, as she does not believe her child was in any gunplay as was being reported by traditional and social media yesterday.

Speaking with the Guardian Media via telephone, Letzia Brute said her daughter’s shooting remained a mystery to the family.

“I want answers as to how my daughter really died. She would have turned 17 years next week Tuesday and there was already a party planned for her,” Brute said.

Parks, 16, was a former pupil of Tranquility Government and had just finished a nail technician course at Servol.

Brute remembered her daughter as someone who would always want to make people around her happy.

“My daughter was the life of the party and she would always make people happy. You can ask the neighbour, ask anyone,” she said

Brute said on Sunday she left her daughter at home, noting when she woke up she (Parks) cooked and did some house chores before leaving the house to meet up with some of her friends to go and lime.

In an initial police report, investigators said they believe that “gunplay” at an abandoned house in St James ended when the teenager was shot in the abdomen. Parks, who lived at LP#69 Upper Bournes Road, succumbed to her injury while at the St James Infirmary.

According to a police report, at about 5 pm on Monday residents at Upper Woodbine Trace, Aboud Circular, St James, heard a single gunshot. Residents began to search the area and later found the wounded teen inside an abandoned concrete house off a hill. She had a gunshot wound in the lower abdomen. The residents took her to the St James Infirmary where she died at about 5.34 pm.

Police and people close to the girl’s family believe the girl went there with someone and they were playing with a gun when it accidentally went off, shooting her. Police officers are asking members of the public who may have seen the person the girl was in the accompany of, to contact them at 999, 800-TIPS or 482-GARY.

Investigations are continuing.