A new Inter-Agency Committee has been formed to help ensure that persons with disabilities in this country do not have their rights trampled upon, and that such persons reach their fullest potential and lead fulfilling lives.
The Committee was formed under the auspices of the Ministry of Social Development and Family Services and its key mandate is to promote and monitor the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNRCPD) and the National Policy on Persons with Disabilities.
Permanent Secretary Jacinta Bailey-Sobers, presented Committee members with their letters of appointment during a brief ceremony which took place on March 16, 2020 at the Ministry’s Head Office, St Vincent Street, Port of Spain.
During her brief remarks, PS Bailey-Sobers thanked the members for their willingness to serve on the committee and assured them that the Ministry stands ready to assist them in achieving their mandate, to further ensure that no one is left behind.
Mrs. Bailey-Sobers also urged members to not view their appointments as just another committee to serve on, but rather, to use their knowledge, experience and expertise to achieve the mandate outlined in the committee’s terms of reference.
The Inter-Agency Committee, which will serve for a period of two (2) years, comprises the following Members:
- Ms Sharon Rogers, Director, Disability Affair Unit, Ministry of Social Development and Family Services (Chairman)
- Ms Rosa-Mae Whittier, Director, International Affairs Unit, Ministry of Labour and Small Enterprise Development
- Dr Natalie Dick, Consultant, Department of Paediatrics, Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex
- Ms Mary Bastien, Guidance & Counselling Coordinator, Ministry of Education
- Ms Lynette Mansingh, Acting Senior Human Resource Officer, Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
- Mr Rabindranath Jogie, Ag. Chief Technical Officer, Ministry of Works and Transport
- Mr Ian Rampersad, Director, International Law and Human Rights Unit, Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs
- Ms Natasha Lewis, Technical Vocational Teacher
- Mr Jason Clarke, Social Services Officer
- Mr Kenneth Surratt, Executive Officer, Trinidad And Tobago Blind Welfare Association
- Ms Jacqueline Leotaud, President, Consortium of Disability Organisations
- Ms Dana Smith, Trinidad and Tobago Association for the Hearing Impaired
Representatives of the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs and Division of Health and Social Services (Tobago House of Assembly) also form part of the Committee.