Several police officers assigned to the Maloney Police Station reportedly are to be tested for the COVID-19 virus, following confirmation that a police corporal assigned to that station has tested positive for the virus.

Guardian Media understands that the police corporal, who is presently attached to the Northern Division Crime Scene Unit, tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday.  The officer has since been sent on 18 days quarantine leave.

Senior officials in the Police Service, and in the police union, have confirmed that the Maloney Police Station is on COVID-19 alert, and a comprehensive contact tracing exercise currently is underway for all officers assigned there.

Police sources say the corporal was last reported for duty on Wednesday and subsequently was tested and instructed by a doctor at the St. George County Medical Office to proceed on 18 days quarantine, commencing March 25 to April 11.

According to a police report from the Command Centre, at no time did the police corporal display any flu-like symptoms.  Guardian Media was told that the officer would have been in contact with any of the four shifts assigned to the Crime Scene Office.

Guardian Media understands that on March 24th, a woman police constable who also is assigned to the Northern Division Crime Scene Office, was placed on twenty days quarantine.  She had been tested for the virus and was informed via the County Medical Office that her results were negative.

Meanwhile, on March 28th, an acting police sergeant—also of the Northern Division Crime Scene Office—was contacted by the County Medical Office St. George who stated that based on her interview with the police corporal and his level of interaction with staff members, all persons assigned to the unit were to be interviewed, with a view to them being placed on quarantine as per COVID-19 Regulations.

And on March 29th, the County Medical Office St. George contacted all members of staff assigned to the Northern Division Crime Scene Office, placing everyone on two weeks quarantine, as well as referring them for testing at their respective County Medical Facility, based on their addresses.

President of the TTPS’ Social and Welfare Association, Inspector Gideon Dickson, confirmed this latest development.

“The necessary contact tracing, in keeping with Ministry of Health and TTPS’ Policy, is being executed,” he assured.

“The station has been sanitized and the necessary follow up will take place from both a TTPSSWA and TTPS perspective,” Dickson added.

Head of the TTPS’ Corporate Communications Unit, Francis Joseph, also confirmed to Guardian Media that the TTPS is dealing with this matter, giving it a high priority.

Joseph gave assurances that, “all protocols have been implemented and the necessary re-assignment of police officers has been put in place.”