A T&TEC crew disconnects the supply to the Woodford Lodge area in Chaguanas. To the right of the photo is the fallen flagpole that caused three people to be electrocuted on Friday. (Image: SHASTRI BOODAN)
SHASTRI BOODAN

One person is dead and two remain hospitalized after they were electrocuted in a tragic accident in Chaguanas, on Friday afternoon.

Guardian Media understands at about 12:40 pm, the trio were attempting to hoist a flagpole on the compound of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) offices at Woodford Lodge, Chaguanas, when the pole leaned in a northerly direction and came into contact with overhead live electrical wires.

All three victims are employees of the CCC.  One person reportedly died, while the others were taken by ambulance to the Chaguanas Health Centre.

General Manager of the Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission (T&TEC), Kelvin Ramsook, was on the scene following the freak accident. 

The fallen flagpole that led to the electrocution of three people at the CCC compound on Friday, at Woodford Lodge, Chaguanas. (Image: SHASTRI BOODAN)

Ramsook said before power can be restored to the CCC, another pole near the power lines would have to be taken down.

“We are examining the line to see if it was damaged in the process of this activity and if that is the case, we will do whatever repairs and make sure everything is safe,” he told Guardian Media.

Ramsook said the OSH agency was also contacted. He explained some 100 domestic and a handful of commercial customers were affected.

The T&TEC GM pleaded with the public to call T&TEC if there is need to do anything near power lines.

“We will respond, and we will respond quickly and give you whatever support,” he asserted.

The CCC is expected to release the names of the deceased person and those who were electrocuted, and any other details surrounding the accident as soon as all the details become available.