As physical classes resume for vaccinated Forms Fours and Fives next month, the government is assuring that the infrastructural works being done on the Palo Seco Bridge will be completed in time for the return of school.
Local Government Minister Kazim Hosein said his ministry has been liaising with the Ministry of Works to get the bridge completed on time.
Saying it was important to have a safe environment for the students, Hosein said he toured the bridge last month following heavy rains and flooding.
When the bridge collapsed, Minister of Education Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly spoke to him asking for assistance.
Minister of Works Rohan Sinanan told Guardian Media yesterday that the works will be completed by next week Thursday (September 30).
A source at the school confirmed that materials were dropped off at the site.
“We are happy to hear that the project will be completed in time for school. When we saw the material being dropped on Monday we were very happy. But today no actual work was done on the site,” the source said.
However, community activist Victor Roberts, who first raised the matter, said he hoped the project could be finished in time for the reopening of school.
“All they did was drop 15 steel matting on the ground. The bridge foundation is compromised so I don’t know what they trying to do and how that project could be completed so soon because that whole foundation needs to come out and cast back the footing to allow the runners to rest across before they rest the steel mat,” Roberts said.
He explained that he was also into construction and will be keeping abreast of the works that are being done.
The bridge collapsed following heavy rains and floods in early September.