Police investigations into Drugs Sou Sou (DSS) is about 60 per cent completed and investigators are awaiting advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) before proceeding further. Senior Investigators told Guardian Media a file on the investigation’s progress so far was sent to the DPP within the last 10 days and they are expecting a response soon. Despite this, other investigations around the entity are ongoing, particularly by the Financial Investigations Unit. The investigator also informed Guardian Media that the TTPS is also in the process of taking disciplinary action against police officers who were involved with the entity. Acting Deputy Commissioner of Police Intelligence and Investigations, McDonald Jacob, is leading the investigation as it continues.
The DSS was first raided on September 21, 2020 by officers of the Special Operations Response Team (SORT) and some $22 million was taken to the La Horquetta Police Station. However, the money, the amount of which was never verified because police did not complete counting the seized cash, was released hours later into the hands of DSS owner Kerron Clarke by junior police officers from the station who were not authorised to do so.
Police are also investigating the behaviour of a member of the T&T Defence Force who was caught on camera during the first raid stuffing money into his tactical uniform. The FIB is also investigating the source of DSS funds.
At least four officers have been suspended and 10 others transferred to other divisions as the probe continues
In October last year DSS was again raided by police officers along with their counterparts from Barbados and the UK.
Days after the raid officers of the T&T Police Service’s Financial Investigations Branch (FIB) finished counting the money they seized which was said to be $6.4 million, police sources told Guardian Media.