Morvant mother of one and Sales Representative Shannon Whyte was found dead and floating in a barrel of water on Thursday night. She had a gunshot wound to the head.

Investigations are continuing into the death of a 29-year-old mother of one, who was found dead submerged in a barrel of water with a gun in her hand at her home on Thursday night.

Police are yet to classify the death of the woman identified as sales representative Shannon Whyte but what preliminary investigations revealed is that Whyte was found dead after a domestic argument with a close male relative at their Mon Repos Road home.

According to a police report, close to 10 pm on Thursday police officers who arrived on the scene was told that Whyte was found by her close male relative submerged in a barrel of water.

When questioned by police the man told officers that he saw something looking like a wig floating in the barrel and when he attempted to retrieve the wig, he discovered that it was Whyte.

On removing the body from the barrel, officers saw that Whyte was holding a firearm in her right hand.

Crime scene personnel processed the scene and retrieved one Glock 23 Firearm, one .40 spent shell casing lodged in the firearm and 20 rounds of .40 calibre ammunition in the magazine.

Further enquiries revealed that Whyte and the close male relative had an altercation on Wednesday.

A relative told police that he had visited their home at 4 pm on Thursday and reportedly heard noises coming from inside but he did not see anyone.

Police said there was a gunshot wound to her head, however, they are unable to determine whether Whyte was murdered or if it was a self-inflicted death.

Whyte formerly worked at the Daily News Limited, Newsday in Port-of-Spain and was described as a very pleasant and quiet person

One of Whyte’s friends thanked her on social media for “all the wonderful memories…you were truly special…love you always. Sleep in Peace Shannon Whyte.”

Police investigating two murders

Meanwhile, police officers were kept busy yesterday responding to two murders that occurred hours apart in Tunapuna and Arima.

In Tunapuna, two men were shot at a fruit stall in the area, with one dying at the scene.

According to a police report, around 2:23 pm a party of police officers responded to a shooting at Maingot Road, Tunapuna.

When they got there they saw a man who was identified as Clifford Boodhansingh of Maingot Road, Tunapuna, lying dead on the floor inside of a fruit stall.

He had multiple gunshot wounds to the body.

Officers also learnt that another man also of Maingot Road sustained gunshot wounds and was taken to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex for medical treatment.

A motive is yet to be established for the shooting.

Visiting the scene was Ag Supt Montrichard, Ag Asp Coggins, and Insp Highly.

Hours earlier, in an unrelated incident close to 11 am Clayton “Kwali B” Joseph, of La Retreat Road, Arima, was gunned down.

Police said Joseph, 28, was standing near a track when a white Nissan B-15 pulled up alongside him and two occupants of the vehicle whipped out guns and opened fire on him.

Joseph attempted to run away but the men got out of the vehicle and chased him while still shooting at him.

Joseph collapsed on the road. The gunmen then fled from the scene.

Joseph was taken to the Arima Health Facility, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The murder count now stands at 180 for the year when compared to 234 for the same period last year.