Firemen attend to the gutted warehouse at Enterprise on Tuesday 5 January 2021. (Image: SHASTRI BOODAN)

Firefighters continued well into Tuesday to battle a blaze at Citrus Drive, Enterprise, Chaguanas, that gutted a warehouse causing millions of dollars in damage.

Guardian Media understands the fire started around 6 pm on Monday 4 January 2021, at a warehouse that contained supplies for Alisha Marketing and Sumeds Limited Poultry Equipment and Supplies. 

Fire appliances from Chaguanas, Couva, Savonetta and Tunapuna battled the blaze well into Tuesday. A manager of the facility said she was not in a position to comment on the blaze and asked that media redirect their questions to the fire officials on site.

Fire officers told Guardian Media the cause of the blaze was yet to be determined.

The smoke emanating from the warehouse affected scores of residents and a dozen businesses located to the west of the smouldering facility along the Southern Main Road, Enterprise.

Businessman Harry Ramgoolie, who operates a stationery store, said he was forced to close shop early because of the excessive smoke. Ramgoolie said when the blaze started, he was worried. He said the blaze was very high and he was concerned that his operations would have been gutted too. 

Residents of the nearby Dass Trace Extension told Guardian Media they had no choice but to stay indoors and deal with the smoke.

Employees of the affected business said they were distraught that the year had started off on such a bad note, with many not knowing what will happen next.