The pistol and ammunition seized in the raid

Police were up to yesterday searching for a second suspect following a shootout in Trincity on Friday night which left one man dead. The deceased has been identified as Jamal Antoine, 18, of Fourth Street West, Casselton Avenue, Trincity.

At around 8.30 pm on Friday, officers from the Northern Division Task Force Area Central carried out an Operation Strike Back 3 exercise in Trincity, during which they executed search warrants for illegal weapons.

During a search of a house belonging to Shadrach Samuel, officers recovered a M&P Smith and Wesson Springfield 40 calibre firearm fitted with a magazine containing 15 rounds of 40 mm ammunition and a Glock pistol fitted with a selector and three magazines containing 78 rounds of 9 mm ammunition.

That search was coordinated by ACP Belfour, Snr Supt Ramdeen and spearheaded by Cpl Bedasie and there were two men in the house at the time. It is alleged one man ran into a bedroom on the eastern side of the house while the other man ran through a corridor leading to an open door on the southern side of the house. While fleeing from the police, the second man dropped the Glock pistol with the extended magazine. As he escaped by jumping over a wall, the officers retrieved the firearm with the fully-loaded magazine.

Meanwhile, officers pursuing the deceased claimed as they breached the bedroom on the eastern side of the house, Antoine pointed a firearm in their direction. He was ordered to drop the weapon but he refused and in keeping with the T&T Police Services’ (TTPS) Use of Force Policy, the officers discharged several rounds from their service pistols, hitting Antoine about the body.

Antoine was taken to the Arima District Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival at around 8.50 pm.

ASP Deonarine is spearheading investigations.

Body found

in Morvant

The body of an unidentified man was found on St Francois Valley Road, off Lady Young Road, Morvant, yesterday morning.

Police said at about 6 am two officers on patrol were alerted by a passerby about a body lying off the roadway. Officers from the Morvant Police Station and the Morvant CID went to the area and found the body of a man lying on the back with what appeared to be stab wounds to the abdomen.

The District Medical Officer was called to the scene and pronounced the unidentified man dead. The body was removed to the Forensic Science Centre in St James for identification and an autopsy.