Chabindranand Boodram speaks to Guardian Media outside the San Fernando General Hospital yesterday.

As the South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) investigates the delays of a lifesaving surgery for Penal mother Sibratee Boodram, her husband Chabindranand is concerned about the care she is receiving, believing that doctors initially misdiagnosed her.

After Guardian Media highlighted the couple’s struggle on Wednesday, Chabindranand said doctors spoke to him, revealing that his wife now has a neuroendocrine tumour in her brain.

“I have documents stating that up to the fourteenth of this month, that was the information there. It was a pituitary adenoma. Now the big man is saying he did not have all the information. He said they sent back the specimen for retesting and found it. Even on the last discharge papers, it stated that my wife had an adenoma. They concluded it was a non-cancerous adenoma and they would go in and excise it,” Chabindranand said.

Boodram, 63, remained at the San Fernando General Hospital yesterday. Her family took her to the hospital on Monday after her condition worsened.

“Her condition is the same, and she is battling her last hours, it looks like.”

Last September, doctors diagnosed Boodram with a pituitary adenoma. While these tumours are slow-growing and benign, it can put pressure on nearby nerves and blood vessels. In Boodram’s case, the tumour was obstructing a blood vessel, causing impairment in one eye.

At the time, it was necessary to remove the tumour to save Boodram’s eye. But Chabindranand said surgeons at the San Fernando General Hospital operated but did not remove the tumour because the instruments used could not excise it since it was too hard. Besides the impaired vision, he said his wife functioned healthily.

After the surgery, she could not walk and faints often as she suffers from a hormonal imbalance.

Doctors scheduled surgeries four times to remove the tumour, but on each occasion, they cancelled saying there were more urgent surgeries needed and COVID-19 restrictions only allowed one per week.

On January 21, the SWRHA said it was gradually returning to its regular theatre surgery schedule.

It earmarked February 1 as the day its hospitals return to full operation. But up to yesterday, Boodram did not know when she would get her surgery.

As a retiree, the $450,000 to do it privately is a bill he cannot pay.

Responding to Guardian Media, the SWRHA said it noted Boodram’s concerns regarding his wife’s surgical delays. It said it began an investigation and would implement the appropriate measures based on the findings.