The South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) has launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding a stillbirth at the San Fernando General Hospital, following claims of negligence by the parents.
Amit Gannah, 29, believes that had the medical staff performed an immediate caesarean section on his common-law wife, 22-year-old Venezuelan migrant Difranceis Robles, his baby would have survived.
He said his wife was wheeled into the theatre four hours after she arrived at the hospital on Saturday via ambulance. He said she had been in pain and was bleeding.
In a release, the SWRHA states that it commiserates with its valued patients and extends condolences during their time of grief.
“A preliminary report already has been commissioned on the circumstances surrounding the care and the medical facts will be shared with the family, at the earliest convenience. Additionally, the completed detailed report also will be provided.”
The SWRHA also has invited patients and clients to contact its Customer Service Centre at 87-SWRHA (877-9742), for any matter in relation to healthcare.