Police officers outside the home where Tamika Griffith, 16, was found in the living room with a gunshot wound to her head at the Sookoo Trace, Claxton Bay yesterday.

The 16-year-old student held by police in connection with the fatal shooting of his relative Tamika Griffith, 16, told investigators that it was an accident.

The Form Four boy said he was showing her a gun when it discharged. Griffith, a Form Four student of Princes Town East Secondary, died while undergoing treatment at the San Fernando General Hospital on Tuesday. The incident took place at the boy’s Sookoo Trace, Claxton Bay home on Tuesday.

He initially told police that he left her home and went to a nearby parlour. He claimed he heard a loud explosion. When he returned home, he found Griffith slumped on a couch in the living room, bleeding from a gunshot wound to the face.

Police recovered a 9 mm spent shell but the gun was not found. However, when questioned further by investigators he changed his story. The boy told police that a few days earlier his relative bought a gun and offered to pay him $150 per week to keep the weapon for him.

He said he took the gun and placed it in a sack in the wardrobe. However, around 1 pm on Tuesday, he took the gun out of the sack and was showing it to Griffith. The boy told police that he tried to take the gun from her and it discharged.

He then called the owner of the gun who collected it. The police received the call about the shooting around 2.50 pm. The officers arrived ten minutes later and found Griffith gasping for breath on the couch.

They lifted her onto a brown rug that was in the living room and took her to the hospital. She died around 4.10 pm while undergoing emergency treatment. The police subsequently executed a search warrant at the Claxton Bay home of the man who allegedly owns the gun, but the weapon was not found.

The man was not at home. The relative was taken to the Oropouche Police Station pending further investigations.

Police said she lived at Iere Village, Princes Town, but was by the boy’s house doing online studies.

When Guardian Media visited her home in Princes Town, her relatives declined to be interviewed.

PC Mathura is continuing investigations.