Kyle Sargeant of Roystonia, Couva who died in the accident in Claxton Bay on Sunday.

After a thanksgiving service at her church in celebration of her birthday, Heather Sargeant received the worst news a mother could get.

Her firstborn and only son was involved in a serious accident.

Kyle Sargeant, 25, an electrician, of Roystonia, Couva, was one of three people killed in separate accidents along the Solomon Hochoy Highway on Sunday night­—Valentine’s Day.

Sargeant and Julia O’Souna, 30, of Calcutta #1, Freeport, both died in an accident that occurred near the Claxton Bay overpass.

Police said around 8.10 pm O’Souna was in the front seat of a car, driven by her boyfriend Anderson Mohammed, when Sargeant’s AD wagon collided with his car. Mohammed lost control and the car flipped several times before landing in the median. O’Souna was thrown from the car and died at the scene. Meanwhile, Sargeant’s wagon slammed into a teak tree on the western side of the highway. Firefighters used the Jaws of Life to free him from the mangled wagon. He, however, died shortly after at hospital.

Speaking with reporters at her Couva home, Sargeant’s mother said she last saw her son on Saturday night. She said he left home on Sunday morning to do a private job at a house in Point Fortin.

She said her birthday was on Tuesday and she attended a church thanksgiving on Sunday. Her phone was on vibrate.

“When the service was finished I got a phone call from an eyewitness. He indicated that he had given them the number before he lost consciousness. He kept asking for his mummy. When I got there he was still pinned in the vehicle. They took an hour and a half to extract him from the vehicle. When they did he had a very weak pulse. I went down to the hospital. His uncle got there before me.” By the look on her relative’s face, she knew he had died.

“They allowed me to go inside and view him. He looked like he was sleeping.”

She had no confirmed information about how the accident occurred. “Kyle can’t defend himself. He is not here and there is nothing to bring him back.”

However, she advised drivers, “Be alert. Watch your speed and if you are sleepy, pull aside. Yes, you want to get home, but getting home safely is always important.”

The grieving mother described her son as a blessing, ambitious and hard-working.

Sargeant also worked at a paint store, she said, adding “His goal in life was to own his electrical business, he achieved registering his business in January this year. His goal was to buy a van with cash, so he wanted to work hard and save his money. So that is what he was doing – working hard every day, Sunday to Sunday.”

Couva and San Fernando police are investigating.

Meanwhile, less than an hour after the crash which claimed the life of Sargeant and Osuana, Hilson Pierre, 41, of St Ann’s ,was killed in another accident in Debe.

According to a police report, around 9 pm Pierre’s Nissan Tiida crashed into several culverts at the end of the highway near the Gandhi Village roundabout.

Police said Pierre’s car failed to slow down as he approached the roundabout.

He was the only occupant in the vehicle at the time.