Fire officers say the early morning fire resulting in the death of a 59-year-old woman yesterday at Spring Garden Trace, Tobago, was caused by an “unattended candle.”
According to Divisional Fire Officer (DFO) David Joseph – Thomas, Lilda Alleyne-Peters was found dead in the building.
“Our investigations reveal that a candle was left lighted and unattended. It caught unto combustible nearby and caught the bed afire where the victim was lying. The victim was overtaken by the flames and tried to make her way out of the house,” Joseph-Thomas told Guardian Media.
He added: “The building, owned by Dale Phillips, was initially believed to be valued at $409,000, but the value has been appraised to $702,000. It suffered 95 per cent damage.”
He said the Fire Service got the call about 5 am and when they arrived, the building was fully engulfed with fire. He said after the fire was controlled, fire officers discovered the body of the lone occupant of the house upstairs on the eastern side of the building.
The DFO also said the burnt building had no electricity.
He also said the deceased son- Lorrick Peters, was injured while attempting to rescue his mother.
“The son received burns to his back and foot and is receiving treatment at the Scarborough Hospital,” he said.
Other buildings nearby owned by the Phillips family and Dawn Keith received “superficial damage.”
“The Keith building valued at $1. 2 million suffered $7,000 in damage, while the Phillips’ family building suffered $500 in damage,” Joseph -Thomas told Guardian Media.
When Guardian Media visited the scene early Monday morning, neighbors and other family members were too distraught to speak.