Trinidad and Tobago has hit the 300 mark in the number of people who have tested positive for COVID-19.
The announcement came in the Ministry of Health’s 6 pm COVID-19 update yesterday.
The Ministry had announced 14 cases earlier in the day. Of that figure, the Ministry said that six cases tested positive at private labs, seven were cases pending epidemiological investigation and one was a contact of a recently positive COVID-19 patient.
The evening update added five more cases, one of which require epidemiological investigation to determine the origin.
Those 19 cases took the overall tally from 281 to 300.
Yesterday’s tally represented an increase of over 100 reported cases in just six days. Last Wednesday, there were 199 reported cases but the results of batch testing saw high spikes in the tally, with 50 on one day.
As of last evening, the Ministry of Health said that the number of samples submitted to the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) and the UWI site for testing was 11,590.
The number of active cases stood at 153 and the number of people discharged was 139.
While the 6 pm update did not give the figures of those hospitalised, at 10 am the Health Ministry had reported that 116 COVID-19 positive patients were in hospital and 12 patients were en route to being admitted to hospital.
That figure represented 69 people at the Couva Hospital and Multi-Training Facility, which included one person in the Intensive Care Unit.
A further 47 were hospitalised at the Caura Hospital.
The statement said that COVID-19 positive patients in step-down/transition facilities numbered 20 at the Brooklyn Facility in Sangre Grande.
Intensive Care Units are hospital wards that provide treatment for people who are very ill and are staffed with health care professionals who are trained in ICU treatment and the use of sophisticated monitoring equipment.