3002637
Dion Mc Kenzie

Valencia man jailed for snatching cellphone, resisting arrest

A 20-year-old man was sentenced to three months imprisonmentin jail after pleading guilty to charges of larceny from the person and resisting arrest.

Stephon Michael Hackett, of New City, Valencia, appeared virtually before an Arima Magistrate on Monday to answer to the charges.

Hackett was charged by PC Serapio, of the Arima Municipal Police (AMP), following a report of larceny which occurred last Saturday.

According to the female victim, she was at a variety store located along Pro Queen Street, Arima, where a man accosted her and grabbed her Samsung from her back pants pocket and ran off.

Police officers of the the AMP who were on patrol nearby were alerted to the incident and gave chase after the suspect.

He was held a short distance away.

The AMP officers searched the man and found the phone on him.

While the officers were attempting to arrest the man, however, he pulled his arm away from the officers.

He was later subdued and taken to the Arima Police Station where he was charged with the offences of larceny from the person and resisting arrest.

Sea Lots man accused of assaulting woman

A Port- of- Spain man has appeared in court charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm against a woman/

The incident is alleged to have taken place last Saturday.

Dion Mc Kenzie, 28, of Production Drive, Sea Lots, appeared virtually before Magistrate Jagroop in the Port of Spain Third Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

Mc Kenzie was granted bail in the sum of $50,000 with surety and the matter was adjourned to February 22., 2021

A police release said the the woman reported to the Gender-Based Violence Unit (GBVU) that last week Saturday she was walking along the roadway at Production Avenue, Sea Lots, Port-of-Spain, and got into an argument with a man whom she knows.

During the altercation, the man allegedly hit her about the body several times, causing her to fall into a drain, where he continued his attack. The man then walked away.

The woman was taken to the Port- of- Spain General Hospital for treatment and subsequently discharged.

A report was made to the GBVU on that same day and an investigation was launched.

The accused was arrested by officers of the Port- of- Spain Division Task Force on the same day at Production Drive, Sea Lots.

Investigations were headed by Sup. Claire Guy-Alleyne and supervised by Insp Lystra Bridglal.

Mc Kenzie was charged by WPC Cox of the GBVU, on Sunday

Man held after chopping relative

A 36-year-old man was arrested following a report of wounding which occurred in the Diego Martin district on Sunday.

The victim, a 43-year-old man, of Four Roads, Diego Martin, reported to police that on the said day, he was at his home when he got into an argument with a male relative.

During the altercation, the suspect dealt the victim a chop to the head. The victim was taken for medical attention.

Officers of the Western Division responded and arrested the suspect who lives at the same address, in connection with the incident. Investigations are ongoing.

Princes Town man held for larceny of money

A 29-year-old man of Manahambre Road, Princes Town, was arrested by officers of Princes Town Police Station for larceny of $3,750.

The victim reported that he boarded a White Nissan Note driven by the suspect around 12.40 pm on Monday in San Fernando enroute to Princes Town.

He also reported that he handed over $3,750 in exchange for US $500 to the suspect whom

he had known for two years.

On reaching Craignish Village, Princes Town, the victim exited the vehicle to purchase an item, when he realised that the suspect drove off in an easterly direction with the local currency.

Based on the report made, officers of the Princes Town Police went to Manahambre Road, Princes Town, where they intercepted a White Nissan Note motor vehicle, driven by the 29- year old man.

He was then arrested and taken to the Princes Town Station.

Technican accused of sex acts against girl 16

A 57-year-old technician has been ordered by a Port-of-Spain magistrate to have no contact with a 16-year-old girl whom he allegedly sexually assaulted.

The suspect, who resides in Coconut Drive, Morvant, was given the order by Magistrate Indar Jagroo as part of his bail conditions which was set at $250,000. He was also ordered to report to the Morvant Police Station bi-weekly.

He will reappear before the court on February 2.

The accused was charged with:

 Five counts of sexual penetration

 Three counts of sexual grooming

 One count of exposing a child to pornographic material.

The man, the girl’s school driver, was arrested on January 20 and charged on January 22n by WPC Ashby, of the North-Eastern Division Child Protection Unit (CPU), following an investigation into a report made to police by a 16-year-old that she was allegedly subjected to several acts of sexual abuse on a few occasions during the period November 2017 and January 2020.

Investigations revealed that the alleged acts occurred while the girl was a passenger of a vehicle driven by the accused and while at his home.

He was later charged with the offences.

The investigation was headed by Supt Claire Guy-Alleyne, ASP Roberts and supervised by Insp Davidson