3080807
Venezuelan nationals check their re-registration forms outside at the Immigration office on Henry Street, Port-of-Spain earlier this month.

Raphael John-Lall

Approximately 13,000 Venezuelans have gone through their second registration process following the first exercise two years ago, National Security Minister Stuart Young said yesterday.

“I am happy to be told that the numbers actually increased over the last week, so as of the last count it is just over 13,000. I have been in conversation with the Honourable Prime Minister, so when I get the final numbers on Monday, we may grant a short extension.

“The fact is, whoever has not been registered are outside the ambit of the law and subject to deportation. So I really want to give that last opportunity,” said Young who spoke at a press briefing at the Diplomatic Centre, St. Ann’s, yesterday.

This year’s re-registration process took place from March 8 to 26.

During the first registration exercise in 2019 more than 16,000 Venezuelans registered to work in T&T temporarily.

Young said there were some misconceptions and a reluctance on the part of employers to assist in the process.

“There were a lot of difficulties like some persons thought it was mandatory to have a job letter. Unfortunately, there were some employers who did not want to facilitate the job letters and the same thing with landlords,” he said.