National Security Minister Stuart Young says he has no issue with anyone in the Barbados government.
His comment follows criticism from the Barbados Foreign Affairs Ministry to his statement at a news conference last week, after 33 Trinidad and Tobago nationals were allowed to return home from Barbados, where they were stranded after T&T closed its borders last month due to COVID-190 restrictions.
In a statement last Friday, the Barbados ministry said it was “deeply disturbed” by Young’s comment that Caricom nations should not allow themselves to be used as a “jumping point” for T&T nationals and others to get into this country. In particular, Walcott noted Young’s statement gave the inference that Barbados was one of the offending countries.
Asked about the matter yesterday, however, Young said Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley made it clear on Saturday that the Government has no issues with Barbados.
“I certainly have no issue with anyone in Barbados, in particular at the Barbados government level,” Young said at the daily COVID-19 media briefing when asked about the issue.
Young added that he had not spoken to Walcott on the issue related to the 33 Trini nationals last Wednesday, the day after the 33 Trinis returned from Barbados. Rather, he said throughout the process he had dealt directly with Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley and Attorney General Dale Marshall.
He explained that when he read out parts of a letter sent to a Caricom country last week he didn’t call any names.
On Saturday when asked about the issue, PM Rowley said “there was no fallout between the Minister of National Security and Barbados … the relationship between Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados is as good as it has ever been.”